Ok so what's the big deal
- capability of transmitting network signals covering distances in excess of 30 miles at a theoretical shared data rate of up to 75 megabits (Mbps) - that's the big deal
- smaller outlay cost
- will replace wifi in laptops etc with Rosedale (INTC)
Intel and Alvarion are the main game players I know of. If you want a complete listing, check this out for a following.
So I think alvarion are a buy and so is intc. With apple jumping on board with intc and intc gunning for the handset market and with wimax onboard plus the pentium m range of chips.
Not enough known about alvarion but they apparently own about a 31% market share according to independent research group Skylight Research as of March 2005.
Alvarion Risks according to S&P recommendation include
- delays in the deployment of the WiMAX standard
- increased competition from larger equipment vendors that may decide to enter the market
- loss of a major customer
Well not a lot! Why?
Cause with every disruptive technology comes a s*&* load of resistance:
- So firstly there is the issue of spectrum use.
- and second is regulatory issues with the big guns doing there best to protect their own
Ok if this happens in the next five years, you will have a deplacement of the 3G networks which the incumbents are spending a lot of money on. There is talk of hspda which is there risk mitigation card. But hspda is still from my knowledge not up with it. Here is some text I found.
"WCDMA-evolved HSDPA will significantly improve the available downlink peak data up to 14 Mb/s, increasing the system capacity by up to three times"
not really the 75 Mb/s we could see in theory from wiMax. hspda is built on the wcdma platform which from my reading is not built for hi-speed data delivery due to the way it uses channels. You can do the reading in your own time.
Ok 3G network killing factor is going to be cost to deploy wiMax and its ability to serve high speed rates in highly built areas. From my understanding its going to be a killer.
hum...You are probably saying, this guy has to many "from my understandings" in this piece. Well I do, but if you are interested in qualifying what I have said, do the research and make a decision for your self. Feel free to let me know what you find if you want.